When discussing health, we often focus on the major elements like heart health or mental health. However, there is one aspect that providers of home health care in California said that you should not overlook. That is your skin. So, let’s explore the things that can affect your skin and discover some of the best skin care tips.
The Risks And Dangers Your Skin Face
Being exposed to the elements daily, your skin is at risk for various health concerns. To better prepare and care for it, you should have a good idea of the dangers you face. Here are a few that you should be careful of.
The sun is vital for your overall health. After all, it is a source of vitamin D. But it can also be a potential danger, especially to your skin. One of the risks here is photodamage. That happens when the skin has too much exposure to the sun’s UV rays.
It is worth noting that exposure to UV rays is essential for vitamin D production. However, at excessive UV exposure, the skin starts producing free radicals. These free radicals are the ones that end up damaging your skin cells in various ways.
Sunburn is the most common type of photodamage. As the name says, it is a condition where the skin is inflamed, resulting in a burning sensation. Prolonged exposure to UV can also result in what is known as photoaging. It is named as such because it has symptoms similar to actual skin aging.
Another common risk that you will face is dry skin. The skin maintains a small amount of moisture on its surface as part of its protective functions. When more moisture evaporates from your skin than usual, this results in the condition.
There are many causes of dry skin, including the following.
- Heat: Hot weather or being constantly near sources of heat can cause your skin moisture to evaporate faster.,
- Environment: Places that are too cold or have low humidity can also lead to your skin drying out.
- Too much bathing or scrubbing: Bathing and scrubbing for prolonged periods or too often can wash away the natural oils that keep your skin moisturized.
- Harsh soaps or detergents: Some soaps and detergents remove skin oils, which affect your skin’s natural moisturizers.
- Skin conditions: Certain conditions like eczema and psoriasis can increase the likelihood of dry skin. That is also the case with certain medical treatments.
Depending on the extent of your exposure to these risks, the dryness of your skin can vary. It is also worth noting that aging can increase your susceptibility to dry skin. As you hit 40, your skin’s ability to hold moisture declines significantly.
As you age, your skin starts to lose its flexibility and elasticity. That is where wrinkles begin to form. Scientists have yet to understand fully what causes wrinkles. But they noted that it might be due to the loss of support from the epidermis to the dermis. That can be due to a loss of collagen and damage to the elastin fibers.
While skin wrinkling is a natural phenomenon, various factors can accelerate it. For instance, environments that induce dry skin and photodamage can also increase the likelihood of skin wrinkling. Certain unhealthy habits like smoking and unhealthy eating can also contribute to the condition.
The Skin Diseases You Need To Watch Out For
Aside from the above concerns, you should also be aware of various skin diseases. These can be varied. However, here are the most common ones you will encounter.
- Atopic dermatitis
- Contact dermatitis
- Athlete’s foot
The treatment for these conditions varies accordingly. When you are under home health care in California, we will help you determine the best treatments for your specific situation. We can connect you with expert dermatologists to deal with the problem.
Effective Skin Care Tips
As always, prevention is the best cure for all of the above conditions. And we are here to provide you with some of the best skin care tips to help you stay glowing and healthy.
Protect Yourself From The Sun
While you might often want to feel the sun’s warmth on your skin, you should also protect yourself from the harmful rays. Using sunscreen is an effective way to do it, especially if you are outdoors often. Go for sunscreen with an SPF rating of at least 15. You would also want to go for a broad-spectrum one, as it protects you from different types of UV rays.
Aside from sunscreen, you should always have the right gear for your outdoor travels. Long-sleeved clothing is handy on many occasions. Additionally, you should bring hats and other headgear as needed.
Treat Your Skin Gently
You might not be aware of it but some of your beauty routines can damage your skin. Thus, be careful when doing these routines.
- Limit bath time: Instead of using hot water, opt for a warm one to avoid damaging your skin. Avoid harsh soaps.
- Shave carefully: Use shaving cream to lubricate your hair and avoid cutting into the skin. Remember to shave in the direction of the hair, not against it.
- Pat your skin dry and moisturize. Use a clean piece of cloth or towel to dry your skin thoroughly. When using moisturizers, choose one that best suits your skin.
To help you keep these habits, do an inventory of toiletries and determine if everything matches your skin’s needs.
A healthy diet also contributes to healthy skin. Thus, you should ensure that you get the right kind of foods. Some of the important ones you should include are:
- Mangoes: These have a variety of antioxidant compounds that will help protect your skin’s components.
- Tomatoes: Red tomatoes contain substances that have skin cancer prevention benefits.
- Olive oil: Studies have shown that olive oil can lower your risk of severe skin photoaging.
- Dark Chocolate: Cocoa flavanols found in dark chocolate can potentially improve the structure and function of your skin.
- Green tea: Polyphenols in green tea have been shown to rejuvenate dying skin cells.
Aside from incorporating these foods, you would also want to control your calorie intake. That helps slow down the cell aging process, helping your skin stay healthy longer. When you sign up for home health care in California, we can connect you with dieticians who will help you determine the best combination of foods.
You might not be aware of it but stressful situations can hasten the aging of your skin. Thus, one of the best skin care tips is to manage your stress levels accordingly. There are many ways that you can go about it.
For instance, you should always get enough sleep according to your age. You can also indulge in activities that help your mind get off stressful situations. Socializing with friends and family is also a great way to lighten your mind.
Get The Best Skin Care Through The Best Home Health Care In California
And you don’t have to worry about caring for your skin regularly. When you sign up with us, you get the best home health care in California. That includes some of the best skin care programs you can get. Contact us today for free consultations.